Monday, February 28, 2011

victory race, sleepover, and sammy's



Friday
There's nothing more rewarding than a delightful weekend after a busy school week. On Friday, after my roommates & I came back from grocery shopping, we started our party hop. The first party was fun; pizza, kit-kats, and the game “what if…” Everyone gets in a circle and writes a “what if…” question. (i.e. what if you turned into a monkey tomorrow?) All of the random questions are collected and re-distributed. On the back of the slip of paper, you write down the answer to the “what if” question you received. Once again, the papers get collected & passed out among the group. The game starts when someone reads the question on their paper & the person next to them answers the question with the reply they have on their paper. So the reply to “what if you turned into a monkey tomorrow?” could be “I would laugh forever, then cry.” (The reply being completely unrelated to the question & an answer to a different question.) Fun game, lots of laughs. After awhile, we decided to hop over to our next party.




Two girls in our dorm complex were having a birthday party in our lobby, Christa & Jenny. There were lots of elaborate decorations & treats. One of the goodies that I tried was insanely tasty; it had mini marshmallows, chocolate, and some sort of crispy morsel to it. Delicious. It’s like a s’more without the grahams & fire. I enjoyed chatting with friends in our building & meeting some new people. It was a delightful birthday celebration.

After the birthday love, our friend Ryan came over to play card games. He helped us build the IGLOO, we couldn’t have done it without his height and strength! He brought over dorito chips & spicy salsa as a midnight snack. Kyra, Dexter, and I were so exhausted after playing a few rounds that the uncontrollable laughter started. I laugh at anything when I’m extremely sleepy. It’s embarrassing. Afterwards, I brought my stuff to Kyra’s. She’s an awesome friend of mine & we stayed up talking until 3am. Loved it, but not the smartest decision-considering I had to wake up a few hours later & race at 8am.

 Saturday
Somehow I managed to make it to the track and had enough time to warm up before I raced the mile. On Thursday we ran a timed mile during our practice & I tried something new. One mile on our indoor track is 5 ½ laps around and I can get weary by the 4th lap. So I started thinking about a different brother on every lap, since I have five hermanos. The first lap I think of what an intense basketball player Hunter is. On the last lap, Grant’s adorable seven-year-old charm keeps me running strong. The last .5 of the lap, I give it all I have-a final sprint. By using this thought process, the mile seemed much shorter and I got my best ever mile time!! 7:11 and I know next time I can get sub seven. Compared to the LAST mile I raced, I felt much stronger & the race seemed to go by faster. Our team did really well-Rachael, my coach, also got a PR and so did Majken. After all the scores were announced, I said that our team needed to have a victory breakfast the next day.

Later in the evening, my roommates, Kyra, and I walked over to Sammy’s. It’s a wonderful sort of diner place that’s famous for their delicious pie shakes & cupcake shakes. They put a slice of pie into every pie shake, making it so difficult to decide which flavor to get. I enjoyed an oreo chocolate cream pie shake & it was outrageously tasty. Connected to the diner part of Sammy’s, there’s a stage and music concert performance area. Several music groups perform there weekly & who doesn’t love enjoying nice music while sippin’ on a delightful dessert? I love Sammy’s!

Afterwards, Ryan came over and brought everything to make froot loop rice crispy treats. Yummy! It brought back to mind several memories of my mom & I making these sticky treats in the kitchen together. We brought the dessert into the lobby & munched on it while we watched ROBOTS on the big flat screen. Cute movie, but I fell asleep half way through. I feel so old, that I can’t make it through a children’s animation film without falling into some much-needed sleep.

Sunday
Kyra & I aren’t in the same student ward, but coincidentally the weekend that I stayed with her was stake conference. We’re both in the BYU-Idaho 1st stake. how perfect. It was fun getting ready for church together & a good indicator because we’re thinking of becoming roommates next semesterJ  Members of our new stake presidency each shared their testimonies with us & it was an insightful conference. After church, I began making waffles for my team’s victory waffle celebration. Majken, Rachael, and Cameron all came & enjoyed the blissful brunch. I really like that our team is small enough that we plan & enjoy team dinners and gatherings. For the rest of the evening, I spent more time with Kyra and prepared for the school week ahead.

The best thing about Sunday was when Emily came home, she had been in UT for the weekend! I came outside to help bring her things in & to my surprise she led me to a parked car. I was really confused because I thought she had gotten a ride back up, but she didn’t need one. Her parents had driven her car from Colorado to Utah, where she met up with them for the weekend. YAY, a CAR!! Not that I don’t fully enjoy doing reps with my gallon of milk on the way back to our dorms…but I became really joyful when I realized no more lugging groceries home. Of course, I was also really ecstatic to have Emmy back! We get along really well, she’s my favorite roomie and we miss each other lots when either one of us goes out of town:)

No comments:

Post a Comment