Thursday, March 24, 2011

IDR reflections banquet

The Indoor Distance Running winter season has officially ended & tonight was our reflections banquet. Our league ate dinner together while we saw a picture slideshow of some highlights from the season. Afterwards, a few coaches and athletes said a few words about how much they enjoyed the season and how much they’ve improved as a runner. Then awards were given out. All of the coaches stood together and announced the recipients for the three awards: “Most Improved Runner”, “Runner of the Year”, and “Spirit of Ricks.” For each of the awards, one was given to a girl and one to a boy. I was surprised and humbled when my name was announced for earning the “Most Improved Runner” award. I thanked all of the coaches and the athletic director. 

Inevitably, I started reflecting on the season that I thoroughly enjoyed. Our first practice was rough & I felt like a rusty runner who was completely out of practice. However, I started putting in more effort and started to really enjoy the  practices and meets. I loved our weekly friday night team dinners and the support that I had from my coach. Through improving my meet times and endurance, I learned a lot about myself & became a stronger runner. But most of all, I’m so glad I became involved in IDR because I met Majken. She’s such a wonderful person who inspires me daily. We cheered each other through difficult practices and exhausting meets. Maj is naturally a really positive and upbeat person & we enjoy so many laugh attacks. Once one of us starts cracking up, it cannot be stopped. 
I’m so thankful I became involved in IDR this semester. I was able to improve my physical strength & make some great friends. I love setting goals, setting personal records, and improving through hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment