Wednesday, January 5, 2011

BYU-I baby!

The next morning, Monday, I enjoyed delicious squash pancakes-there's a first for everything:) Tamina is a supermom. literally. She's a type of person that would give you the shirt off her back, but this time it was a gallon of milk on the table for breakfast. She sent me off to my first day of college with a big box-filled with essentials I hadn't thought. I was ready to move-in with fresh whole wheat rolls, butter, cereal, laundry detergent, plates, bowls, dishwasher soap, toothpaste, and a few frozen meals. AND not to mention an organizer of silverware & measuring cups. Weight was lifted from my shoulders & I felt much more excited about starting school. Her daughter, Kristie, made the several trips from the car to the apartment to unpack everything with me.





After awhile of unpacking, I met my 3 roommates & their parents. We are great friends & have a blast together. Kiana is my roomate. She's from California, an artist, excellent cookie baker, guitar player, and loves grapefruit. We bond in the kitchen while making delicious chocolate chip cookies. One of our first days getting to know each other, we were talking about cheeseburgers & she said,"I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but there's this really good hamburger place in CA, its called in-n-out." I sarcastically reply,"oh really? never heard of it. sounds tasty." haha who hasn't heard of that famous burger place? Kiana is an awesome roomie & I'm grateful for all her talents-videos to come..

In the other bedroom next to ours, there's Emily & Katherine. Emily is from Colorado & has lovely parents. After we unpacked most of our stuff, they treated us to Taco Bell for lunch. Katherine, likes to go by Dexter & is from Wyoming. We get along really well & is so easy to talk to. She makes delicious crock pot dinners, I always smell the aroma & go to the kitchen to see what yummy meal she's cooking away. 


The first two days there was an orientation for all new students called Get Connected. After lunch & more unpacking, our i-team leaders came & told us the schedule for the rest of Monday & Tuesday. We played get-to-know-you games with our group & enjoyed a bbq. That night, there was an amazing talent show. One guy had a huge yo-yo & others sang beautiful songs. 






Tuesday we got our i-cards(student ID) & some books from the bookstore. That night, there was the I-Night Extravaganza which was a total BLAST! We played musical chairs, lazer tagging, sumo wrestling, and went to the dance. Emily and I sumo wrestled against each other & I am proud to say I was ze champion. It was more difficult than I thought, the suit is huge and must weigh 5 pounds. Afterwards, we went to the dance which was really fun. I bumped into a former sister missionary who served in my ward & a guy from efy way back when. I slept excitedly, just hours before my first day of COLLEGE! 








The day started early, my first class started at 7:45am. I love it here. My teachers actually want to be here & help us succeed. Everyone is so genuinely kind & friendly. I've seen a lot of friends from my stake, it seems like such a small world. I'm really enjoying  running in the new BYU-I Center.  Its an awesome building & it was really exciting going there for devotional. I like my student ward, but at the same time really miss going to church with my family. I miss the screaming babies & little primary kids. So far, I've been preparing all of my meals, I haven't eaten at the cafeteria yet. Its a new experience going grocery shopping & initialing all my stuff. We moved one of our living room couches into the kitchen, perfect spot. I went to an indoor distance running meeting, practice starts on Tuesday. I also went to a pre-med society meeting. I was one of four girls, there were so many guys. College is grand.



No comments:

Post a Comment